In 1963, we became Malaysians and the notion of a Bangsa Malaysia was born. This was given form and substance by former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad in his Vision 2020 that set out 9 challenges for Malaysians to achieve a developed country.
No mention is made of Bangsa Malaysia by the Abdullah administraton. Is the concept of Bangsa Malaysia still important or relevant in the light of failed promises in our original social contract?
The DAP is holding a Dialogue in conjuction with the 50th Merdeka Anniversary celebrations this coming weekend.
Date: 19 August 2007 (Sunday)The panel of distinguished speakers include:
Venue: Crystal Crown Hotel, Petaling Jaya
- Y Bhg Tunku Abdul Aziz, former President, Transparency International Malaysia
- Datuk Param Cumuraswamy, former Special Rapporteur on the Independence of Judges and Lawyers, United Nations
- Mr Yeo Yang Poh, former Malaysian Bar Council Chairman
- YB Lim Kit Siang, Parliamentary Opposition Leader
- M Manogaran, President, Malaysian Tamil Education & Research Foundation
- Haris Ibrahim, Human Rights Lawyer
- Jeff Ooi, Prominent Malaysian Blogger
- Dr Oh Ei-Sun, East Malaysian Socio-Political Analyst
At the same time, the Party will take note of the views and opinions of the participants in formulating our vision for Malaysia, more pertinently, in preparation for the upcoming general elections. ;)