Wednesday, April 30, 2008

An Insult to the Handicap?

BUKIT GELUGOR (Karpal Singh) was making various points via "Points of Order" during the Question Time proceedings.

While I won't go into the merits of the standing orders debate (i.e., rules and regulations of parliament), which I'm still grappling with, Ibrahim Ali of PASIR MAS, the self-proclaimed independent MP who stood on the PAS ticket, raised his voice in the Dewan, and told Karpal to shut up for supposedly wasting time, and added that if he wanted to speak in the Dewan, he should "stand up".

I didn't hear it myself, but apparently, the infamous KINABATANGAN, supported PASIR MAS as well.

If the above wasn't an unparliamentary insult, in particular to the handicapped community in Malaysia, then I don't know what is.

However, despite being pressed by various DAP MPs in the Dewan, the Speaker refused to request that these MPs "tarik balik" or withdraw their comments. He just polite requested that MPs should not mention unparliamentary words in the Dewan. I thought it was clearly unacceptable, and sets a bad precendent for future debates.
Post a Comment