SILENCING CYBERSPACE - THE FINAL FRONTIER?
Date: 6 February2007 (Tuesday)
Time: 7.30 pm
Venue: KL & Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall
- Mr Yeo Yang Poh, President of the Malaysian Bar Council
- Mr Jeff Ooi, Pioneer Malaysian Blogger
- Ms Sonia Randhawa, Executive Director, Centre for Independent Journalism
- Mr Lim Kit Siang, Parliamentary Opposition Leader
- Mr Lim Guan Eng, Secretary-General of DAP
We do not require such an Act to govern us in the cyberspace. The Bill of Guarantees of the Multimedia Super Corridor project assures us, Malaysians, and the world that there will be no censorship of the Internet.
Hence it is important to protect the civil society's rights to express fair-minded views, opinions and commentaries on the Internet through arguably Malaysia's only source of freedom of expression.
Instead of making veiled threats in the news media or through our legal system, which appears to be increasingly prevalent, to silence the cyberspace, we hope that our Government will play its part to promote responsible freedom of expression on the Internet.
See you there! ;)