Tuesday, February 13, 2007

'Bad Boy' Samy

I'm not a bad boy, Datuk Seri Samy Vellu, the Works Minister who is under the spotlight would like to tell you.
"Many people think I'm a bad boy as if I decide on the tolls, as if I put people in trouble, that I go for blood and all that. I'm a minister of the government and I implement the decision made by the Cabinet. It's not my decision to raise the toll or to reduce it," said the agitated minister.
So, maybe Datuk Seri Samy Vellu really isn't a bad boy, for surely Will Smith did a much better job at being one. In this case, Datuk Seri Samy Vellu is just a clueless, hapless hatchet man and spokesperson for the UMNO-led Barisan Nasional (BN) government. Of course, the Works Ministry title is just a convenient facade to give the impression that he actually has executive powers.

But then, he went on to "lash out at certain quarters" who said they would buy up the toll companies if they were in his position. Datuk Seri Samy Vellu said that he the toll companies were taken over, "it would cost the government nearly RM500 billion".

Now, not only is Datuk Seri Samy Vellu clueless and hapless, he probably failed his Mathematics (badly) as well. If the overall construction cost of all the 5 highways affected by the unreasonable toll hikes added up to RM4.13 billion, how is it that the Government would need to pay some RM500 billion for the highways?

Is Datuk Seri Samy Vellu and the BN Government out of their minds? Or are we that stupid?
Post a Comment