Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Budget 2010: Goodbye Credit Cards...

I wrote a quirky personal piece for TheNutGraph with regards to the Credit Card tax to be implemented from 2010 onwards.

I must say that Budget 2010, announced by Datuk Seri Najib Razak on 23 Oct 2009, contained quite a few surprises for better or for worse. And my observation is from someone who has poured through the government's budget over the past five years.

For one, I'll have to start picking up the phone over the next few weeks to cancel my many credit cards. An unwelcome announcement was that beginning 1 Jan 2010, we will be taxed for every card we own, regardless of whether we are or aren't in debt.

At RM50 per card, and RM25 per supplementary card, that's probably enough to set me back at least RM700 per annum. Yes, I have indeed a whole string of credit cards, but thankfully without any debt attached to them.

Read the full article at TheNutGraph ;-)
Post a Comment