Tuesday, August 25, 2015

As we approach our 59th Merdeka Day and 53rd Malaysia Day celebrations, have we become a nation where Malaysians no longer decide our own destiny?

On 31 August 1957, the Federation of Malaya declared our independence from our foreign colonial power and on 16 September 1963, we formed Malaysia with our counterparts from Sabah and Sarawak.  Malaysians stood proud to be a new sovereign nation where her citizens are able to chart their own goals, dreams and destinies.

However, Malaysia’s independence is now under threat and her citizens face the risk of a newfound imperialism by a unknown Arab power.  In the past, the people of Malaya and Borneo were kept under a leash via a military force.  Today, Malaysia’s vision and policies are influenced by obscene amounts of foreign money funding our ruling political party.

Senior UMNO leader and Minister Dato’ Seri Nazri Aziz found “nothing wrong” that the Prime Minister personally accepted a secret RM2.6 billion donation in the latter’s private bank account from a “brotherly” Arab nation.

He shamelessly admitted that the so-called ‘donation’ was “to see certain parties win in the general election because we are friendly to them”.

The above confirmed without a doubt that Malaysia’s sovereign status is under threat by the fact that our ruling party and its leaders have become compromised by secret foreign funds.  The marginal victory Barisan Nasional received in 2013 proved further that a foreign country has directly and decisively determined the outcome of our country’s election.



Newly promoted Deputy Prime Minister, Dato’ Seri Zahid Hamidi further elaborated, truthfully or otherwise, that the Arab nation was helping BN because of the government's commitment to counter terrorism and maintain Malaysia's status as a Sunni country.

“Malaysia has Pota, the penal code, Sosma. We are a moderate nation, we don't want terrorists, so they appreciate our commitment," Zahid said, referring to the Prevention of Terrorism Act and the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012.

Over the past month, Dato’ Seri Najib Razak and his tailcoat of BN Ministers and leaders have repeatedly harped on the claim that the Prime Minister has been cleared of any wrong doing over the RM2.6 billion donation into his personal account.

“Don't say I sell the country, I won't sell the country. I'm the prime minister who will take responsibility for whatever I do… that's why MACC has said it is not corruption and not 1MDB money,” he was reported saying during the opening of the Bandar Tun Razak Umno division meeting two weeks ago.

Last week, he “cleared” himself again claiming that “there is no regulation in respect to political donation. So you cannot say what is right and what is wrong, okay?”

I had written earlier that Dato’ Seri Najib Razak cannot go around town clearing himself of wrongdoings when the MACC never in its past statements cleared the Prime Minister.  If there were any doubts previously, the MACC has made it absolutely clear in its statement yesterday that the case against Dato’ Seri Najib Razak isn’t closed.

In fact, the MACC chided the Prime Minister, without naming him in person for trying vainly to “clear” himself. “The MACC hopes that no party will issue statements that could potentially cause confusion among the public and create a negative perception of the Commission”.

The MACC Chief Commissioner, Tan Sri Abu Kassim Mohamed also confirmed that “the investigations into SRC International Sdn Bhd and the RM2.6 billion are still on-going.”  According to leaked investigations, SRC International Sdn Bhd had transferred RM42 million via third parties into Dato’ Seri Najib’s personal bank account in December 2014 and February this year.

The Commission have also previously stated that they “would also ask Najib to give an explanation to the MACC about the donation he received.”  Hence it cannot be clearer that the MACC has never cleared the Prime Minister for receiving such dubious and suspicious “donation” from the Middle East.

If Dato’ Seri Najib Razak, or other Ministers for that matter, continue to pressure MACC to “clear” the Prime Minister, then they will be guilty of the same alleged crime Dato’ Seri Anwar Ibrahim was found guilty of in 1999.  Back then, Dato’ Seri Anwar Ibrahim was sentenced to 6 years’ jail for using undue influence on 2 Special Branch police officers investigating him for alleged sexual crimes.

While Malaysians believed that the charges against Dato’ Seri Anwar Ibrahim were trumped up, those against Dato’ Seri Najib Razak will be blatantly obvious because the latter has been consistently making false public statements on behalf of MACC.

The best thing for the Prime Minister to do now, if he really believes in his innocence is to volunteer himself to the MACC for a thorough and complete investigation.  He is of course entitled to have his lawyers present to ensure that he doesn’t incriminate himself in the process.

If not, the public cannot be blamed for not giving the Prime Minister any benefit of the doubt over the mysterious RM2.6 billion donation into his personal bank account for further mysterious expenditures, which Dato’ Seri Najib Razak has obstinately refused to clarify or provide any transparent and accountable details.

Post a Comment