KEY TAKE AWAYS FROM PRODUCT COMPARISON BETWEEN 1MALAYSIA AND NESPRAY 1+ GROWING UP MILK POWDER BASED ON THE FOOD REGULATIONS 1985 – REGULATION 389A TWENTY-FIRST SCHEDULE ON FOLLOW-UP FORMULA
A. Completely missing key nutrients from 1Malaysia Growing Up Milk Powder per Food Regulations 1985 based on "follow-up formula" for infants 6 months and above to 3 years old:
- Essential fatty acids – e.g., Omega 3, Omega 6 etc.
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B6
- Folic Acid
- Pantothenic Acid
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin K1
- Vitamin H
- Vitamin E
B. Grossly inadequate quantity of certain key nutrients
- Calcium – only 4.1mg per 100kcal or 4.5% of regulatory minimum requirement
- Iron – only 0.1mg per 100kcal or 7.4% of regulatory minimum requirement
C. Grossly excessive quantity of Vitamin A
- Vitamin A – 6012 I.U. per 100kcal or 802% above maximum regulatory limit (750 I.U.)
- May contribute to Hypervitaminosis A. Effects may include liver problems, reduced bone mineral density, coarse bone growths, skin discoloration, hair loss
D. KR1M is more expensive than Nespray 1+
Although there are differences in packing sizes (small packs are usually relatively more expensive) but a per gram calculation of a 300g pack of KR1M milk powder versus a 1kg pack of Nespray 1+ showed a remarkable price difference of 23.8%, that is, Nespray 1+ is cheaper.
E. Contradictory ingredients between English and Bahasa Malaysia Version
On the ingredients labelling, the Bahasa Malaysia version says “pepejal susu rendah lemak” but the English version says “instant wholemilk powder”. So is it “susu rendah” or “wholemilk”?